Sunday, January 13, 2008

Artist Diary from Abroad





Elizabeth Wright, Central Coast Artist, eO member and Superb Personality, is currently undertaking Bachelor of Fine Art Honours (Newcastle University) and as a part of this course is studying at the School of Fine Art, History of Art & Cultural Studies (Link) which is situated in Leeds, UK.
.
.
.
The following is an excerpt from a letter from Liz which begins her three month diary on her studies and experiences as an artist in Leeds.
.
Next week: ' comprehensive detail of my research'
.
.
I have been busy. The time is going too quickly - I can't believe I have been here nearly 6weeks now. My house is a lovely old Victorian place, with three stories and a cellar. My flatmate's and I only occupy the bottom floor however, the other levels are empty. My room is big and roomy. I am at the front of the house, so I have a lovely large bay window in my bedroom. My flatmates are fantastic. There is Marie from Denmark, Marie from America, Stephanie from Canada and Isa, Kathy and Nina from Germany.
.
.
The university is lovely and well situated. It is only a fifteen minute walk from the city centre, a five minute walk from our house and the campus isn't too big.
The lecturers have been amazing, they are so helpful and passionate about their work. I am doing a second year studio module (because the fourth years are organizing their final year shows and therefore I couldn't really be involved), and I am doing my dissertation module. My supervisor is Griselda Pollock - she is rather famous over here for her feminist writings and she is a fountain of knowledge and has inspired me to think outside the square in regards to my research.
.
Elizabeth Wright.

No comments: